This project is read-only.

Silverlight Pushpin

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:34 PM
This is really awsome start, much needed control for SL. Really looking for a SL pushpin support that could be used in variety of application.

Thanks,

Gopi
Jun 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM
Thanks Gopi,
Lots more to come, I'm playing with a few ideas to get pushpins to work this weekend. If you have an ideas I'd love to hear them.
Do we use a vector based pin graphic (XAML) so we can scale the pin to any size?
How best do we lock this to a lat/long position on the deepzoom object?
Can we support the pin to be a deep zoom image itself to support large images, panoramas etc.

I'll post back here when we have something.
Jun 14, 2008 at 12:58 AM

soulsolutions wrote:
Thanks Gopi,
Lots more to come, I'm playing with a few ideas to get pushpins to work this weekend. If you have an ideas I'd love to hear them.
Do we use a vector based pin graphic (XAML) so we can scale the pin to any size?
How best do we lock this to a lat/long position on the deepzoom object?
Can we support the pin to be a deep zoom image itself to support large images, panoramas etc.

I'll post back here when we have something.

I think the Pushpins should at least support both standard image files and vector based graphics (XAML) for the pins icon. Using XAML will offer flexibility and keeping the icon pretty when scaling, and using standard images (jpg, png, gif, etc.) will keep things plain and simple.

Also, allowing XAML to define the pins, there would be the possibility of adding any kind of programming to the icon, and not require the icons to only be static content. Imagine using this control for a real estate search, and when you click on the Pushpin or zoom in far enough, it automatically changes to be a small details box (possibly with tabbed interface) with a summary of the listings information.

Just an idea...
Jun 14, 2008 at 1:05 PM
Absolutely a great idea Chris. It really plays on the concept of Deep Zoom replacing the need to popup content - instead you zoom into more information.
I've added some basic but nessesary code that translates LatLong to pixel and back for the Deep Zoom control. I've added a simple xaml pin and a very basic shape controller.
You can test it out on the live demo, make sure you click on the map to have focus and then press the letter "n" to add a pin to the Sydney Opera House.
http://deepzoom.soulclients.com/VE/
Jun 14, 2008 at 6:49 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2008 at 1:27 AM

--- Removed by user ---

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:34 PM
If I download the project and run it, is it supposed to just work, or is there further setup required? I looked at the setup page you posted and I have the VS2008 SP1, SL2B2, and DeepZoom Composer already installed. When I run, I just see the Dashboard and the outside frame. No errors, but no tiles either :-(
Jun 14, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Cool & Cool for the pin.xmal push pin. This week i'll try to port [re-do] my SL Map app to this deepzoom VE and see how it goes. I guess i can use any xmal as push pin.
Question : How do u generate the push pin path data ? or is it just hand drawn blend work ? :)

The whole project seems so simple [u guys made it so..] that it is real awesome.

Thanks,

Gopi
Jun 16, 2008 at 11:34 AM
Once I have the dashboard ready I'll start designing some XAML assets we can use for pushpins and popups.
Jun 18, 2008 at 7:51 PM
Great concept here, this is exactly what I have been thinking of doing when Silverlight 1.0 was in beta; of course then this was very hard to accomplish. Glad to see this project already a huge step forward and so much potential!

For the push pins, I would have a XAML graphic as this stays inline with the whole architecture that Silverlight and WPF are going for. And when you 'select' a push pin, have a popup of some sort open up with information (either text, images or other XAML components) where you can use DZ (Deep Zoom) again to move around and view the data. Maybe even have that push pin's popup be resizable? The possibilities are endless and I am sure there will be some great ideas for those popup contents; such as video clips, image carousel, a whole website implementation, etc.

Great work and I look forward to contributing as my time permits!