Shape Manipulation and Animation

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:49 PM
Hey guys,

Great work with the project so far!

I am interested in,
    1. Manipulate elements on the map, i.e. drag polylines/polygons/pushpins on the map surface etc.
    2. Animate elements on the map, using storyboards, i.e. blinking pushpins etc.

Is this currently possible?
I was thinking of deriving the base Shape class from UIElement/FrameworkElement; to get access to all the mouse events etc and to provide a valid target for storyboards.

I'm sure this will be a performance hit, i have not delved into exactly how DeepEarth renders the shapes as of yet.

Thanks a lot.

Pri
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2008 at 2:19 AM
Pri,
I'm keen for you to take a deeper look and provide us feedback on issues you come across.
If you look at the "prototype" project you will see an example of using the control and drawing shapes, either as a "behavour" like the alt-click to add a pin, or on an event like drawing the polygon on the button click.
The shapes we use are the default ones we have created, you can inherit from these and add functionality or inherit from the base class and do whatever you like.

To animate a pin I hope you should be able to use the current pushpin class and simple supply your own XAML with your animations.

Draging shapes around could be a simple as updating their location but I'm sure some slight enhancements could make this more efficent and smoother.
Let us know how you go with this.
John.
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM
Pri, funny you should mention it, I am actually currently working on some shape editing code. I hope to have it done by later today or tomorrow. I will keep you updated.
Shaun