This project is read-only.

Add Additional Map Source

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Some help needed -

I'm trying to add an additional map source, in this case it comes from a WMS; a image containing topology lines for a state.  When I add the map source, the background switches to show the topology image, but instead of just one image there are mulitple images (15) - I'm guessing one in each tile.

Can I switch the background to have only one tile OR to force the image to be show only once?? Any other ideas on how to accomplish this??

Thanks.....
Jan 30, 2009 at 2:37 PM
just to make the question more clear...

1. you have an image/tile from WMS which you would like to display as the whole map, but you are getting the image displaying multi times 

or

2. you would like to display this image/tile in a specific location on that map only, e.g. just to cover the state you mentioned in your post?

I am assuming the first scenario "1" is what you want?
I am not sure if this will work and maybe SoulSolutions or RoadWarrior can answer with a better solution or if this will work OK?

But maybe you can adjust the "TileSize" to be the size of the control, thus one tile fills the entire map area?
Jan 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM
Hi dotnetnoobie,  good to hear from you,

Scenario #1.  I tried to change the TILE_SIZE (TileLayer.cs) constant from 256 to 512 and 1024 but this had no effect.  Was this your suggestion or did you have another way to do this?

Thanks
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM
I guess we have three ways to provide raster overlays/maps with deepearth.
  1. You can supply an entire tileset for the base layer, eg the prototype has about 10.
  2. You can supply an "Overlay" tileset to the base layer, I did this yesterday needs a few more tweaks but works quite well
  3. You can add a geometry "Point" that could simply be your single image, enhance this to resize it to align perfectly based on zoom level.

Currently we have good examples for #1, I'll get #2 done soon, #3 is possible but needs some work.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:11 AM
Yes in the "DeepEarth.Provider.WebMapService.WmsTileSource"
public const int TILE_SIZE = 256;
this is actually only setting the tile size in the url used to get the tile from the WMS server

I was thinking about changing the 
private const int DefaultTileSize = 256;
in the "DeepEarth.Layers.TileSource" class so that is would be the size of the map area
so I was thing something like changing that from a constant to a property that you could set dynamically from the users screen/window infomation then also updaing the WmsTileSource class TILE_SIZE to also be a property and set it the same way...

as I said I don't know if this will actually work or not