Call Center Demonstration

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:16 PM
I would like to use DeepEarth to demonstrate an enhanced feature for our Call Center. I work in the R&D lab for PACCAR. We own Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks. This demonstration would use DeepEarth to simulate realtime connectivity to trucks driving around the US. We have a database of simulated trucks and will connect DeepEarth to it to show the trucks as pinpoints on the map and use Silverlight to show status changes of the trucks. This is a high visibility rush project as our Chairman will be viewing it next week.

What I could use some help in is pointing me to where I would add the Silverlight code to connect to our database server, retrieve the truck data and display the VE points. Once the truck points are displayed, I will simulate their status changing with Silverlight transformations.

This initial version is a "status board' with no user input. A desktop version is next which will incorporate all the deep zoom features of DeepEarth.

Thanks,

Mark.

Mark Fredrickson
Senior Consultant
Technology Research Center
PACCAR Inc.
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2009 at 5:49 AM
Edited Feb 4, 2009 at 5:50 AM
So you need to connect to your database and produce a WCF service for Silverlight to consume. You typically do this in the web application that is serving the DeepEarth control.
Within this logic you can apply all your business rules, put in some caching if the values don't change much and put the data into a format to transmit cleanly.

Then in the Silverlight application bind to the Map Loaded event, make the async call to your WCF service to get the data. Currently (V1.1) you have to decided on the format to use, the WCF service will give you proxy classes, loop through these items and manully add Points, Polylines and Polygons to a new map layer.

In the next version we will be supporting serialisation of the data so you can simple hook a standard format up to a layer.

Let me know if you need any help,
John.
Feb 6, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Hi Mark

Check www.portmetrovancouver.com we did vessel trucking there in your case it maybe trucks, byt the way we are working on puting some Container trucks there as well, should be avaialble shortly

Sincerely
Evgeny Vdovin