Adding a map tile source

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I am looking to provide my own map tiles instead of using VE or Yahoo, etc.

What is the best approach to doing this?

thanx.

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM

You need to be able to serve up your maps as 256px tiles following the mecator quadkey style used by VE/Google/Yahoo/OSM etc.

Great article here about the format:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb259689.aspx 

How are your maps currently stored? There are various ways to produce and store the tiles or render on the fly.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:13 PM

The way I used to render tile on the fly is too slow, any suggestion?

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:13 PM
thank you - looking into that now.

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:02:51 -0700
Subject: Re: Adding a map tile source [deepearth:58106]

You need to be able to serve up your maps as 256px tiles following the mecator quadkey style used by VE/Google/Yahoo/OSM etc.
How are your maps currently stored? There are various ways to produce and store the tiles or render on the fly.
Jun 10, 2009 at 1:19 PM

A more difficult question - if I serve up my own tiles how best do I calculate my upstream needs from the web server if for example I have 100 concurrent users?

thank you.

Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:02:51 -0700

Coordinator
Jun 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Very tricky as the user will cache tiles in their temp internet files.

The core MSI (DeepZoom) control is pretty tile hungry, but it needs to be to get the smooth effect.

You best test maybe to actually simulate a user with various test sessions and then multiple out the actual requests. We are using a ashx generic handler here to serve all tiles, apart for abstracting exactly how we store the tiles it would be easy to add logging. (Aside - The trick with logging high use counters is to write to multiple sources and provide the aggregation of the counters as the final count.) Could also use the normal IIS logs, not sure? Or run fiddler on the clientside and hit the normal control and do a count of the actual requests outbound. The mistake is to count the requests internally at the MSI as it will be getting cached tiles.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:11 AM

that is what I was thinking - thanx again.

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:01:56 -0700

Very tricky as the user will cache tiles in their temp internet files.
The core MSI (DeepZoom) control is pretty tile hungry, but it needs to be to get the smooth effect.
You best test maybe to actually simulate a user with various test sessions and then multiple out the actual requests. We are using a ashx generic handler here to serve all tiles, apart for abstracting exactly how we store the tiles it would be easy to add logging. (Aside - The trick with logging high use counters is to write to multiple sources and provide the aggregation of the counters as the final count.) Could also use the normal IIS logs, not sure? Or run fiddler on the clientside and hit the normal control and do a count of the actual requests outbound. The mistake is to count the requests internally at the MSI as it will be getting cached tiles.
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:30 AM

Has any one been able to convet and pass WGS84  Datum coordinates (bounding box) to a tile source WMS in Deep Earth?  Other conversions above have not accurately converted.

Thanks,

Developer
Aug 7, 2009 at 5:32 AM

the WMS tile source file in the deepeath project only seems to ling up at a certian zoom

the problem in the tiles are a different projection and I also would really love to know who to solve this problem