GPS correction

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Hello, I have a demo application in which I use a DeepEarth control and I need to localize some cars and trucks on the map.
I have, in real-time, the position of my trucks by an on-board GPS system but these 
coordinates sometimes are not on the exact street (because every GPS has a little error when calculate the position). 
I need to know if there is the possibility to adjust the GPS coordinates on the nearest street using an existing web service 
provided by virtual earth (or google maps, etc...) or if I have to write my algorithm to correct the GPS position.

Hello, I have a demo application in which I use a DeepEarth control and I need to localize some cars and trucks on the map.

I have, in real-time, the position of my trucks by an on-board GPS system but these coordinates sometimes are not on the exact street (because every GPS has a little error when calculate the position). 

I need to know if there is the possibility to adjust the GPS coordinates on the nearest street using an existing web service provided by virtual earth (or google maps, etc...) or if I have to write my algorithm to correct the GPS position.

Thanks

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Both Bing and Google supply there road data as images (Raster). This means it is really fast to render but you can't get the actual road data. If you want some awesome free data go check out www.openstreetmap.org

The algorithms to do what you want range in quality and accuracy, the best ones use heading, speed and the points before and after to determine the actual vector the device is on and lock onto the nearest street. Poor ones simply find the closest street, often a side street by mistake. I know the OSM project has an opensource routeing project, that maybe a good place to start if you want something open and free. Let us know how you go.

John.