Getting started with DeepEarth

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Hi!

First of all congratulations for a great project. We love your client and we think it could be a great start for us. We are newbies in GIS development and would appreciate some feedback.

We are planning to develop an intranet GIS solution for web and win forms and we are going to use Geoserver and WMS,WFS and WFS-T. We need to display some layers on the map and edit some other layers.
Our company does not allow an internet access and my questions are:

1. Can I use this code on my intranet solution or I need to buy some license?
  2. Does  Microsoft.Map.Control  require an  outside internet access?
  3. Should I choose DeepEarthMap or  BingMap solution?
  4. Is WFS-T supported or planned for the future?

Any help would be appreciated.

/Montanazo

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I suggest you look at the DeepEarthMap, it is completely open source and license free, supply your own imagery. It is only supporting the web mecator projection (Bing, Google, Yahoo, ESRI all use) so you need to get your WMS to output that projection, it is offically EPSG:3857 but used to be EPSG:3785 or EPSG:900913. ESRI called it "Web Mecator".

The Microsoft control does require a license under some conditions and will need an internet connection. That control has some extra features, like world wrap and new birdseye and streetside modes.

We had planned for WFS-T support but I've struggled to understand where exactly the standard is and I don't have a project using it or experience with it. In the Bing Maps toolkit we have used the NetTopologySuite library to allow use to serialise to WKB, I'm using this in many systems now to talk to SQL2008 geography data types for both rendering and editing. I'd say we have the building blocks here but there is a bunch of work to do.

Make sure you're getting the latest source, we are very close to making a new release, the current one is very old. Good luck with your project and feel free to ask questions here.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Thank you for the information!

We can´t control the WMS output (to be projected in EPSG:3857). We will use some WMS:s with SWEREF99TM or RT90_2,5_gon_V projection. Can we still use DeepEarthMap?

/Montanazo

Developer
Jan 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Välkommen

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Can anyone answer montanazo answer from the post above - we have similar problem. We are projecting maps in EPSG:26713 (though later this will change to Irish Grid) from GeoServer via WMS - will the map control be able to display it?

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Yes the map control will be able to display your map. We display maps from different sources in different projections. We request always 4326 from the wms provider. Make sure your wms services support EPSG:4326