In order to view the control you need to install Silverlight 2 RTW for you Browser.
You will be prompted to download or can install it from here:
To setup and develop with this project you will need to be running Visual Studio 2008 and Install the bits for Silverlight2 RTW development.
Follow the sets from here:
When you open the solution you must currently set the startup project to one of the web projects and the startup page to default.aspx in your solution.
There is currently 3 web projects for you to choose from:
- "\Prototype\DeepEarthPrototypeWeb" is where test new functionlaity, full of example buttons.
- "\Examples\VirtualEarth\VEDeepEarthExampleWeb" is the completed functionality for Virtual Earth.
- "\Examples\OpenStreetMap\OSMDeepEarthExampleWeb" is an alternate Tile Provider - OpenStreetMaps.
- "\Examples\LocalMaps\LocalMapsExampleWeb" is a Local Tile Provider - small local tile set located in the \LocalMapsExampleWeb\ClientBin\bluemarble folder.
In order to run a Virtual Earth project you need to get a Developer Account with Microsoft Virtual Earth and get an ID and Password. You need to put these credientals into the web.config file for VE project. The OpenStreetMap example does not need this.
*You need to get a Virtual Earth Web Service (VEWS) ID and password
by setting up a developer account at
in order to use VE tiles and services. A free 90 day account takes about 2 hours
to be provisioned.*
Here are two 20min videos to guide you through the solution:
Having problems connecting to VE from inside a corporate network?
1) IPV6 - If you have IPV6 installed then the TileServer is trying to use ::1 as the local IP address and this will fail. Remove the ::1 entry from your hosts file to fix this.
2) If your corporate network uses a proxy server then you may need to put the proxy information in your web.config. For example, my network has the proxy set by a script so I needed the following:
<proxy usesystemdefault="False" scriptLocation="URL to script"/>
3) TokenService currently does a catch(Exception). If you change that to catch(Exception ex) then you will be able to see a meaningful error message. Workitem 3560 tracks adding that permamently