Which Silverlight version to use?

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Hi There

I have been using the SL4 branch for my silverlight maps, but I have justnoticed that there is a Silverlight project in the DeepEarth_2011 branch.

The project in the DeepEarth_2011 branch seems to have a better object model. Is this going to be the new Silverlight version to use?

How stable is this new branch compared to the SL4 one? What are the plans for completion of either of these branches?

Thanks for an amazing library!

-Mark

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Mark,

DeepEarth 2011 is our vNext, it is not stable at all as we're trying various techniques to make it very flexible with databinding. We would love your feedback on it if you have spare time. Expect a whole bunch of posts comming in the next two weeks on how it works and how we have built it.

The main trunk is the SL3 version, used in many projects worldwide. The SL4 branch was a test at simply upgrading the project, David put a bunch of work into making it more SL4 featured. The major feedback we had was that people wanted a control that was more binding friendly, more flexible and modern. We needed to start from scratch with all that we have learnt to date to do this.

For our currrent production projects we use the main trunk SL3 version, upgraded to SL4, pull libraries like NTS and geoAPI from the SL4 branch. Importantly DeepEarth hasn't made a release ins some time, we will be making one on the new 2011 branch and moving it over to be the trunck. We're going to make a big deal out of the DeepEarth 2011 version, but when it is ready. I keep missing dates as it is taking a large amount of effort but we are very close. We will provide a very strong plaform for you to build on and also contribute back to.

John. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Would it be possible to provide a downloadable zip of current production work in progress?  

I checked out the silverlight 4 branch thinking it was complete and found just a  few polygons on a blank map.

What I was trying to achieve was a simple map control tied to a wms feed for the base mapping.  Do you think it would be possible to provide anything on those lines or instructions?

Thanks

Dave Thomas