Proprietary Maps + SL4

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Hello there,

I'm working on a legacy application that is currently producing reports containing information about GPS tracks for devices as well as some activities performed by those devices.

I'm being requested to provide the same output over a map, so the user can see dots/hotspots everywhere a report was generated.

These are the requirements:

1. I need to use the company's proprietary maps, so can't really use bing or other provider.
  2. The maps are currently in tif -not sure if supported- so I must be able to take those tifs and produce something DeepEarth -if possible- can consume.
  3. There is not a single map, but many, determined by min/max lat/long and I'm asked to only display information on a single map, so no composition.
  4. It has to be SL4, since the app has other views using it.

Can I cover all the requirements with DeepEarth or should I have to look somewhere else?

Thanks in advance,

Raciel

Developer
Nov 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I need to use the company's proprietary maps, so can't really use bing or other provider.

this is ok in Deepearth, you can use any source you want for the maps

The maps are currently in tif -not sure if supported- so I must be able to take those tifs and produce something DeepEarth -if possible- can consume.

you would need to convert the images to a format that Silverlight/DeepZoom control can use

There is not a single map, but many, determined by min/max lat/long and I'm asked to only display information on a single map, so no composition.

you need to only display sections of a map, I am not clear on what you mean here?

It has to be SL4, since the app has other views using it.

there is a SL4 version, read the forums and look at the code to make sure you can achieve what your after
and a newer version "2011" but i am not sure if that is SL4 or SL3 you would have to check

someone else may comment with more information? 

Developer
Nov 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM

DeepEarth 2011 is SL4. But it is not released yet so I wouldn't recommend to use it in production for now.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:51 AM

>>you would need to convert the images to a format that Silverlight/DeepZoom control can use

We have some shape file (.shp) for the whole world. How can we convert them to SL/DeepZoom format? 

Can we highlight the individual country with different color after converting them? 

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM

We use FME from safe to perform most of our ETL processes - they also have tools to create Web Map Tiles. Based on Safe's documentation, if you used FME server to render the Tiles on the fly you could alter the rendering.

David

Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 10:51 PM
To: David Zwiers
Subject: Re: Proprietary Maps + SL4 [deepearth:235212]

>>you would need to convert the images to a format that Silverlight/DeepZoom control can use

We have some shape file (.shp) for the whole world. How can we convert them to SL/DeepZoom format?

Can we highlight the individual country with different color after converting them?