This project is read-only.

Other Tile Providers?

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:31 PM
Is the project is interested in developing tile providers for other tilesets? Won't Microsoft get ansy about the TOS if a lot of people start using it?

I am a community developer in WorldWind and would be happy to help out with/completely write on my own a tile loader for Worldwind style tiles. Here is a link to an explanation of the tiling system WW uses. It is pretty similar to VE's (quad trees and all that) but starts in the lower left corner.

Next would be a WMS provider and maybe one that supports TileCache from Metacarta
Jun 17, 2008 at 8:41 AM
The dependency on the direct usage of the VE tile servers is indeed a risk for this project. Therefore, alternative tile providers would be a good idea. Google (same problem with TOS, of course) and TileCache would be good angles.
TileCache can expose a tile schema that conforms to the VE Quad keys as well, I'll be looking into integrating that into this project today.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:48 AM
This is the most common request already for this project.
We have two branches currently of the code, the main solution is a simple prototype using only Virtual Earth.
The API folder houses the direction we will be moving to thanks to Shaun. Here we will have a base class that can be utlised for any provider.
I will kick off some internal disscussions for how we can organise this in the project. There are many more compents then just the tile data, we need to decide what is core functionlaity and what becomes examples of implimentation. Jonas for example has create a dashboard UI which will be a great example of a dashboard implimentation but not required, while the core methods he has to call for the functionality will be there.
Jun 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM
More $.02 worth.

A place for a really good reference on varous tiling systems is embodied in the OpenLayers project.

They have a generic grid system and have figured out all the various differences in the almost all of the relevant tiling systems out there - Google, VE, Yahoo, WW, WMS (MapServer and Mapguide variations), TileCache, TMS, and KaMap. (Whew, there are a lot of these.)

All the tile formats are in the /Layer directory in SVN, broken out by tiling system name. Grid.js is the meat that implements their grid system.

Hope this provides some inspiration.
Jun 19, 2008 at 2:53 AM
OpenLayers doesn't actually implement support for some of the formats listed (VE, Google, Yahoo), they actually just embed the specific javascript control into their map control. I have done some work around OpenLayers, it is a great project.