Differentiating Tile Sources

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM
Hi,

I'm looking into the possibility to add more tile sources to make the control more generic and less dependent on VE tiles (the access to which may be limited / cut off altogether at any time). I'd like to discuss how to approach this. Possible angles (which do not necessarily exclude one another).
A good approach would be to create more *TileSource provider classes inheriting from MultiScaleTileSource and instantiate the map control with the desired provider. The MSIInteraction should be rid of the hardcoded VETileSource instantiations in ChangeStyle.We could also create an ITileSource interface and implement *TileSources from this interface.

I was also thinking of solving the problem not by creating separate classes for each provider but to have VETileSource handle different providers, but that way we'd run into problems with the GetTileLayers overridden method. I thought this could be circumvented somehow by using a delegate pattern, but thinking some more about this, I really don't see how.

Your thougths appreciated.
Martijn
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2008 at 1:50 AM
Welcome to the project Martijn. We have already kicked off some internal disscussion on this and Shaun has done some great work already you shoudl look at in the current "API" folder.
I will be actively looking at restructoring the solution to move in this direction this week.