Pins stutter as Map zoom's

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:38 AM
The pins are seizuring as the map zoom's in and out. It is pronounced at the end of a zoom animation. Im assuming it's because the pin's are re-rendering their x,y coordinates in realtime in relation to the MSI coordinate system, and because of the easing algo in deepzoom the end of the animation yields higher precision x,y calculations which has a visible impact that being the stutter.

So do you guys have any idea how to best deal with this stutter? Other than hiding the pins and only showing them upon deepzoom transition completion im pretty much out of ideas. (The thought of creating a stutter reverse algo that is applied to the pin positioning logic gives me nightmares).

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2008 at 1:55 AM
Maybe we need some sort of tollerance check, if they are only move so few pixels from previous location within so many seconds we don't actually need to update the location.
We have the map wobbling as well, I'm sure this is related and I wonder if we are better off looking at why the map wobbles when zoomed in and see if that is causing the pins to then wobble in turn.
Jul 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM
That sounds exactly like what's happening (the map wobbles causing the shapes adorner layer to wobble)... I have a feeling it's out of our control and has to do with the transition animation in deepzoom, in particular the easing applied to the animation. Anyway it's on my list of tasks to work out a fix for it because a prospective client won't go live with my proposed solution unless that's fixed :( ... So back to my kennel to hack more code to try to resolve this :)