This project is read-only.

100% cpu on map zoom or move

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:00 AM
Hi,

Has anyone noticed this effect? when we move or zoom in/out the map the cpu goes to ~100% stays for around 8-10 sec.
Guess its the MSI animation, to test that is there a way to disable the animation?

This cause big issues, as we have lots animated pins(!) which permanetly (> 1min) saturates client cpu and over which when we fetch data WCF calls times-out or fails?!

Thanks,

Gopi
Jul 23, 2008 at 4:48 AM
The MSI control is pretty power happy and uses max resources to do its thing as fast and as smooth as possible.
I believe the animation is the "UseSpings" property on the MSI.

I'd love to see what you have done btw.

It will be interesting to see what can be done to help with resource management, clearly the more shapes you add to the map the more updates are called to every shape on map change events. I'm sure their are all sorts of optimisation we could prototype here.
Jul 25, 2008 at 3:39 AM
Edited Jul 25, 2008 at 3:40 AM
True / false on UseSprings does not change a thing in cpu or animation !

Here's our site(!) http://jettainer.informare-gmbh.de/   Click on Windowwind, Europe, Germany and Amp and move slider (!)
When we zoom thru German the cpu goes 100% for a min(!)[also we fetch huge data], so if u test, u need lots of patients!

Hope would find some trick to disable map animation so i can use the cpu!

Thanks,

Gopi
Mar 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Hi,

I test your map, and now the cpu usage is ok. Could you explain us the adopted solution? Thanks in advance.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

The major issue was a bug in the core MultiScaleImage control, it was fixed in a recent patch from Microsoft for Silverlight 3.

The control will still use as much CPU as it can to render the images as fast as possible but this is now much less and returns to 0 after rendering.