Silverglobe + DeepEarth

Developer
Oct 12, 2008 at 3:35 AM
This is a quite cool little project I found on CodePlex

it is a 3D globe you can spin around, set points on it etc...

it is not like DeepEarth, but this type of project could complement a persons DeepEarth project
maybe offering a nice quick and visual way to move the map in DeepEarth via a click on the globe,
which will give you the Long/Lat for that location, then making your DeepEarth map move to that location
kind of like a nice quick easy visual navigation system, so you don't need to drag your map alot of times to find a county/place etc...

http://www.codeplex.com/silverglobe/

I also had no problems making this run in RC0, just need to add the ref to "System.Net" in the silverlight project and created a new web project to host it, so was only a couple clicks in VS and it ran
Developer
Oct 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM
I made a little demo of the Silverglobe as a navigator for DeepEarth

hit the button in bottom left to open and close the globe

spin the globe to australia

I added a few points for places I have sured before that people may have heard of...?

click the orange points on the globe

then in the popup window click the "Go" button

http://silverlight.davidthiessen.com/

once you have zoomed in you need to manually zoom out again to zoom to the next one.
Coordinator
Oct 17, 2008 at 12:56 PM
Thats awesome!
How heavy is the control? I think it would make a pretty cool and unique minimap for the top right corner. Maybe just centering on the right area and shading the current map view on the 3D globe?
Developer
Oct 17, 2008 at 2:50 PM
it actually gets a bit clunky if you add alot of points to the globe, I added about 160+ surf spots in australia and you could tell there were alot on there as the globe spun,
but it was really quite easy to hook it up to the deepearth project, the link is in the above post for the code for the silverglobe project

I can also post up my demo project code if anyone would like it...?

what would be really cool is f you could somehow make the current tileset your using in DeepEath be the textture/wrap around the globe...?