One info box or many?

Developer
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Should we have 1 info box per pushpin or have 1 info box for the entire application? Advantage to having multiple info boxes is that the user can have multiple info boxes opened at any given time .... but the disadvantage is the memory consumption; each pushpin would then have an info box and that could get out of control.

I was thinking of having 1 info box that would simply move to the correct location when a pushpin was clicked on. Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 2:22 PM
I think that having one would be better because:
* won't have to deal with overlapping info boxes
* lower resource consumption
* As a user, I don't think that I would ever want more than one displayed at a time
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:03 PM
The infobox would be part of the shape XAML / logic wouldn't it? Upto the developer to impliment exactly how they want it to work. For example I may have my pin change to an information box as I zoom in closer, when zoomed out have a popup.
If we impliment something simple to begin with, like a mouseover / mouseout on the default pin to launch/hide an infobox I think this is a great start. I don't see why we would want to limit potential functionality but I do see why we want to keep it simple for now.
Developer
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:42 PM
As of now I have a working info box sample. I have the one and only instance defined in map.cs that does the simple logic of placement of the info box when a pushpin is clicked on. Not sure if this is the right way of doing it, but it is a start. Should I commit this code as is, or try to come up with a better implementation? The actual logic for the info box is very similar to the logic of the pushpin. Let me know what you guys think!
Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 11:44 PM
I would say to probably add it as an EventBehavior implementation. This way, the developer could turn it off or remove it all together and replace it with their own.