This project is read-only.

Overlay Custom Map Tiles

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:03 PM
Is there someting in DeepEarth similar to the VETileSourceSpecification class in the Virtual Earth SDK?  Currently, I have an ASP.NET 2.0 application that's using MapServer to generate one or more custom tile layers (from spatial data stored in SQL Server 2008) for display on top of Virtual Earth.  For each layer, I use the VETileSourceSpecification class to tell Virtual Earth the location of the tiles (via the TileSource property).  Can I do the same thing in DeepEarth?
Dec 21, 2008 at 7:51 PM
you can create a new "TileLayer" class that uses the Tiles from your Map Server

then you can just add the TileLayer as a normal layer, like you would add a "Shape" layer

I have done this with a couple layers for "Cloud Cover", "Swell Height", Swell Period" etc...

e.g.

// Map Tiles BaseLayer
map.BaseLayer = new TileProvider.BlueMarble.TileLayer(TileProvider.BlueMarble.MapMode.BlueMarbleWeb);

// Swell Height Overlay Layer
map.Layers.Add(new TileProvider.Swell.TileLayer(TileProvider.Swell.MapMode.Height));

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM
Question: Does dotnetnoobie's technique of adding a custom tile layer over an existing base layer allow changing the opacity of the Overlay layer separate from the base layer? 

I'm attempting to do this in Build 17856 (on the way to V1.5), and my custom layer displays correctly, and I've attempted to change the Opacity value both at initialization time and also after the map is displayed, but Opacity seems to have no effect.  Any ideas why not?

Page.xaml.cs:

// Using the V1.5 syntax, the above attempt to add an Overlay layer is now:

TESTTileLayer =
new DeepEarth.TileProvider.TEST.TileLayer(DeepEarth.TileProvider.TEST.MapMode.TESTRaster);
    TESTTileLayer.Opacity = 0.1;
    map.Layers.Add(TESTTileLayer);