This project is read-only.

Census Tracts Overlay and Clickability

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM
We're developing a Silverlight application and have need for a mapping component that will provide outlines of US Census Tracts on the map and return the Census Tract ID of the most recent mouse click.  Can you point me in the direction of what I would need to do to use DeepEarth to make that happen?

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM
You should start by investigating GeometryLayer and adding polygons to it, then work on handling mouse click events.
Feb 2, 2009 at 8:36 PM
Thanks - so there is no existing layer that overlays US Census Tract data and I must generate each polygon from the US Governments SHP files?  I was hoping that someone else might have done this already as it's pretty common usage.  If anyone has done this and would be willing to share, please post here.
thanks!
Feb 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM
@MSW, I am working on this but in a round about way. The team here is working on major geometry enhancements next up, support for at least one standard format and a provider pattern to impliment your own. So in the comming weeks you will be able to import your data in a few lines of code.

I'm importing shapefiles and other vector data into SQL2008, the first import/export format we are likely to impliment is GML, natively supported by SQL2008.

So it all depends on your timeframe, I'm about to kick off some discussions right here about how we get started putting this into the codebase, I'll have demos next week, actual V2 release however maybe a few weeks further away then this after testing and likely another supported format to prove the pattern.

If your interested in helping over the next few weeks with feedback and testing with your data and requirements we would welcome your contributions.
Feb 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM
John - email sent.
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM
I have a database with over 100,000 linestrings with an average length of 6,215 feet and a max of 282,608 feet most of which occur within a very small area. I would be happy to help with feedback and testing.