Google MapMaker as mapsource?

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM
At first I should say thank you because of your response to my last question about animation in deep earth(actually we have suspended that task in our business plan but we will come back to it couple of weeks later).
Now I need to know if there is any way to use Google MapMaker as the map source for deepearth.
Regards.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Do you know the specific licensing? We can support any tile system that is simply a different naming convention of the standard tiling system, eg we have had Google running with no issues tech. We are unable to use the core Google tiles directly however without a commerical license. I havn't looked much into their new offering and how it competes with OpenStreetMap.com
Hosting tiles and the production of them is very expensive, I doubt anyone will do it for "free", if you can look at the detials of what is need to use them in a project that does not use the google control I'll be more then happy to show you how to write a tile provider to use it.
John.
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM
Hi All,

I had a Google rep on the phone a few minutes ago to ask about access to the tile server (for their real maps, not MapMaker).  He informed me that even with a commercial license, accessing their tile servers is not an option.  From my understanding, this means Google maps are simply not an option for use with DeepEarth.

Soul, or anybody else, have you heard anything to the contrary?