Zoom to Country then to Country + City

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Hi

A week ago I could search for just United Kingdom, for example, and it would zoom the map to UK. Then I would add London as city and it would zoom to London. Now I see that this functionality is not there anymore. I don't get a result from the search unless I specify all the fields. What is the problem? Will it be restored and when? I really need it back as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Max
Developer
Mar 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM
this functionality is base on a web service from the VE servers, so if it has changed then it is due to someting at VE/Microsoft end

no one who helps on the DeepEarth project has changed anything

you could try a different service and hook the control upto it, like geonames.org or yahoo etc...

there are quite a few services for geocoding information
Mar 22, 2009 at 5:20 PM
hm, that's even worse. I was hoping it was due to some changes on your part... Could you please look into the matter and help me find a way to find the coordinates for a country/city (zoom to them).

What I mean is situations like this:
in GeoFind.GeocodeFind()
query = "United Kingdom" <- used to zoom to the country (like Live Maps does)
query = "London, United Kingdom" <- used to zoom to the city.

Right now these queries return 0 results.

Thanks,
Max
Developer
Mar 23, 2009 at 4:27 AM
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WCF/GeoNames-WCFClient.aspx
Mar 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Odd?

https://sharepoint.connect.microsoft.com/silverlightmapcontrolctp/iSDK/default.htm?wa=wsignin1.0

http://dev.live.com/Virtualearth/sdk/

both interactive sdk samples handle London, United Kingdom just fine?

But prototype DeepEarth doesn’t? Although it does find several road choices for London by itself?

New York, ‘USA’ or ‘United States’ nothing?

rkgeorge

Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:21 AM
To: rkgeorge@cadmaps.com
Subject: Re: Zoom to Country then to Country + City [deepearth:50891]

hm, that's even worse. I was hoping it was due to some changes on your part... Could you please look into the matter and help me find a way to find the coordinates for a country/city (zoom to them).

What I mean is situations like this:

in GeoFind.GeocodeFind()

query = "United Kingdom" <- used to zoom to the country (like Live Maps does)

query = "London, United Kingdom" <- used to zoom to the city.

Right now these queries return 0 results.

Thanks,

Max

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (deepearth@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email deepearth@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM
I am having the same problem, and it just started this weekend.

I was able to get the location of a City, State by setting the ConfidenceFilter to High:

>// Set the options to only return high confidence results

>List<DeepEarth.Provider.VirtualEarth.VEGeocodeService.FilterBase> filters = new List<DeepEarth.Provider.VirtualEarth.VEGeocodeService.FilterBase>();
>DeepEarth.Provider.VirtualEarth.VEGeocodeService.
ConfidenceFilter cFilter = new DeepEarth.Provider.VirtualEarth.VEGeocodeService.ConfidenceFilter();
>cFilter.MinimumConfidence = DeepEarth.Provider.VirtualEarth.VEGeocodeService.
Confidence.High;
>filters.Add(cFilter);
>DeepEarth.Provider.VirtualEarth.VEGeocodeService.
GeocodeOptions geocodeOptions = new DeepEarth.Provider.VirtualEarth.VEGeocodeService.GeocodeOptions();
>
>geocodeOptions.Filters = filters;
>geocodeRequest.Options = geocodeOptions;

If I take this filter off, it will return results, but all of the results are of the form: <address with City name><Some City><State><Zip>. For example if I search for "New York, NY", I get 5 results, the first one being: "New York Ln, Athens, NY 12015". This can be verified on the DeepEarth Sample application.

Any ideas on why the High Confidence is no longer working? Anyone have any work arounds?

Thank you,
Paul