This project is read-only.

About deployment

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:09 AM
Hi, I am wondering in the deployment state.
When I deploy the .xap file, would the map load with all the files with only the xap and a html file?
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:19 AM
yes, if you do not use virtual earth tiles, because that needs to use a web service

so if you hook up to a different tile provider, e.g. look in the examples folder of the (source download)
you will see a OSM (Open Street Maps) example application, this will work with just a HTML file and the .xap

you can use this example and swap in any tile provider except the Virtual Earth one, because none use a web service
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM
I am sorry that I didn't specify the question clear enough.
Yes I would like to use the VE earth tiles.
What should be included in the deployment package other than the html and xap?
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:39 AM
I think you will need a windows server to run ASP.NET

then you would need to upload

Bin Folder
ClientBin Folder
Services Folder
Default.aspx
Default.aspx.cs
favicon.ico
Web.config

because you need to use the webservices to get the authorisation token for the VE tiles/services
you need ASP.NET web server for the VE tile provider
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:44 AM
Yes, I can run the xap file totally fine on my own asp.net domain.
But my final goal is to provide an "application" where everyone could just embed the *xap and someother html on their host so they can have their own working map with the functions i created from the deep earth source code.
Would that be do-able?
For now the only way i can think of is using iframe directly point to the page i created... but that's not what I want.

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:39:27 -0700
Subject: Re: About deployment [deepearth:51774]

I think you will need a windows server to run ASP.NET
then you would need to upload
Bin Folder
ClientBin Folder
Services Folder
Default.aspx
Default.aspx.cs
favicon.ico
Web.config
because you need to use the webservices to get the authorisation token for the VE tiles/services
you need ASP.NET web server for the VE tile provider
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:45 AM
also you can either...

update the urls in the application "ServiceReferences.ClientConfig" file

to reflect your new webserver url
or

download the patch from here
http://deepearth.codeplex.com/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx
"Updated the "Dynamic Token Service Binding" patch
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:54 AM
I think you would need to use a different tile provider, one that does not depend on the ASP.NET webservices
then you will beable to make a package that can just have an Html page and the .Xap file...

you can get all the geoCoding type functionality from a different source like GeoNames.org
which has javascript JSON or XML versions so you can use them with out a need of an ASP.NET webservice and call them directly from your silverlight code or javascript in the Html page

another place that has alot cool geocoded stuff is Yahoo Pipes, there are hundreds of yahoo pipes already build that can send you geocoded data or you can also make your own if you cannot find one that does what you need
Mar 31, 2009 at 2:54 AM
Sorry to tell you that I must use the virtual earth tiles for some company reasons.
Thanks! Appreciate your help very much!
Mar 31, 2009 at 2:58 AM
you may beable to use VE tiles

you will have to work out how you can call the webservices via javascript, i have never tried it but might be possible?
Mar 31, 2009 at 4:44 AM

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:04 AM
Thanks, I am not planning to use javascript, but I will test more tomorrow and let you know if there is any other ways :)
Appreciate your sincere helps!