Apr 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM
I have upgraded the latest DeepEarth source code to run for Silverlight 3 Beta

Code Change Set 18773
Uploaded March 12th at 8:22am

I posted it as a .zip file at this location: 

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2009 at 12:18 PM
Awesome, look forward to checking this out and playing with some of the 3D transformation on internal elements. I think this is going to be essential in order to render media that is on the other plane to the top down VE imagery like Photosynths, photos, panoramas from my trip to Egypt ;)
John.
Apr 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM
Hi, could you mention a little about what changes has to be made to upgrade to silverlight 3 beta if I want to do it manually?
It's just for my future reference!

Thanks!
Developer
Apr 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM
ok... the upgrade

first, basically nothing changes, you run the upgrade wizard and it updates you to use the SL3 .dlls, but basically not code needs to be updated

the problem was the refereances for the webservices broke after the upgrade...

first I just used the inbuilt tool in visual studio to update the referances for the VE webservices... still did not work...

so I went and looked in the reference.cs file for each webservice.... 
what I noticed is that they were just empty files, the "update reference" fails for some reason....

so the simple solution (since SL3 is not ment to break any SL2 code) 
was to just open a SL2 version of DeepEarth, navigate to the reference.cs files for each webservice 
and then I just copy and pasted the code into the updated SL3 beta version....

compiled and run the DeepEarth site. :)
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Good as place as any to drop my list of SL3 features I think are applicable:

1. Native Mouse Wheel support. Get rid of the DOM helper and get support in full screen mode.
  2. Out of Browser Mode. This is seperate form an offline mode, more about removing the need for the browser and being a little app in its own right on the desktop.
  3. Deep Linking. Enhance the persistant state control to create # deep links to easily bookmark and return to any state.
  4. Smooth Streaming. Very little out there but it appears as though this is an optomised way of serving multiple data streams for the MSI control, could be handy for overlays and different modes.
  5. 3D plane transforms.
  6. Shaders.
  7. Hardware rendering
  8. Bitmap caching. This could help us with our rendering of complex vectors / scaling during animated zooms.

Any other ideas?

Developer
Jul 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM

http://www.dotnetnoobie.com/deepearth/DeepEarth_SL3_Update_ChangeSet_24679.zip
I have not had time to find the old version i had up there before
this is almost the most recent check-in, 
I updated the mouse event args so the application compiles and runs with the latest SL3 stuff in VS2008
I ran and tested the "ExampleControlWeb" and all seems to be working correctly

http://www.dotnetnoobie.com/deepearth/DeepEarth_SL3_Update_ChangeSet_24679.zip

I have not had time to find the old version i had up there before

this is almost the most recent check-in,

I updated the mouse event args so the application compiles and runs with the latest SL3 stuff in VS2008

I ran and tested the "ExampleControlWeb" and all seems to be working correctly

need to add your mappoint dev account details to the web.config for that project

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:22 AM

DotNetNoobie, Others,

Is this the latest version of SL3 code.  Any issues that we should be aware of????

Thanks....

Developer
Jul 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM
I have the latest SL3 tools installed in VS2008

I then took/downloaded the code from the DeepEarth CodePlex website 
and just fixed the errors for the MouseEvents, basically just fully qualifying the parameters in the method calls to make the application compile

so effectively it is the VS2008/SL2 version updated to compile with VS2008/SL3 tools (latest versions)

then I ran the ExampleControlWeb application all the functionallity seems fine
also I have checked out the Bling application which also seems to run fine

I have not found any issues so far
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Doing great work dotnetnoobie,

I've still got a tonne of changes to make in the project over the next 3 weeks. We need to create a SL3 branch at some stage but I don't want to create a bunch of extra work.

What we could do is make a SL3 branch straight way, document any changes we make in one of the wiki pages here and treat it more like an experiment. I'd love to see OOB and the mouse wheel in full screen etc. Once I'm done with this new structure (so much work, I'm working as fast as I can) I'm happy to move onto a final SL2 release and then concentrate on SL3 only.

I do apprehiate everyone's patients as it is taking time but I'm certainly seeing a great new extensible structure and new modular approach that should allow for many more contributors to the project and more innovation.

Would you like me to setup a top level branch in the Client folder for you to commit the SL3 version?