weather overlay

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Hello -

I’ve been using DeepEarth  and Silverlight 2 for the past few months and have benefited from it greatly.  My thanks to the team for the great work!

I was wondering about a capability for overlaying weather onto the map.  I realize that this likely depends on the feature set of the chosen tile source.  I’ve been using/happy with the OSM provider, but wanted to raise the question and/or get some advice from others who may have considered the same.  Is there a tile provider (VE perhaps) that provides this?  If not, what’s the best practice for including weather overlays.

<o:p> </o:p>

Thanks.

Developer
Apr 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM
there is weather services out there if you get into google....

alot/most are in WMS tile servers, from nasa and a heap of other places

the best data for weather you can get from GRIB files, but they are just binary files, and compress large amounts of data into quite small files for the information they contian, but then you need to extract the data and work out who to display it
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:55 AM
I'm working on a solution for a WMS rain radar overlay currently. The smarts will be in a tilehandler service requesting the full size images and producing the overlay as VE tiles for easy consumption. The other big requirement is to provide an animation of the last 5 sets of radar images to see the movement of the rainclouds. Current thoughts are to have 5 seperate overlays and use the opacity setting to essentially animate through them.
For performance we are looking at storing the WMS images on te server but doing the tiles on the fly. We have had many performance problems with storing large sets of small tiles on the filesystem.
John.
Apr 18, 2009 at 5:09 AM

Thanks for the insight (dotnetnooblie & soulsolutions).

May 10, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Hi soulsolutions,

you can get as much isolated memory as you want by user in silverlight, why bother?

Jeffer 

May 18, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I am also exploring to use the deep earth for one our weather application. We have a large system which renders the weather maps on the fly using the realtime data. Some of the layers include Temperature Contour, Radar, NWS Alerts,  Hurricane tracks, etc almost 200+ layers. We have developed our own base map tiling scheme (based on VE but uses WGS84 projection).

When I load 3+ layers, the deepearth seems to perform very slow since it bring lot of tiles. Ofcourse it's not the DeepEarth issue but the deep zoom.

Is there any setting that I came play with to tune the performance?  By the way, I image rendering system so efficient and our exisitng application responds pretty fast.

Thanks in advance.

Developer
May 19, 2009 at 3:55 AM

can other people/public access your layers?

May 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Unfortuantely not yet. The tile source is pretty much hard wired to our application. We are working on to get them publicaly soon.