Override the two connection limit for tiles?

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Silverlight's MultiScaleImage appears to only allow two simultaneous connections to request tiles, irrespective of subdomain or browser connection limits. This makes panning or zooming the map really slow.

How can this connection limit be overriden?

Silverlight doesn't appear to support the usual app.config/maxConnections setting used by .Net apps.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2009 at 12:59 AM
Edited Jun 15, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Do you have a link?

I always thought it was dependant on the browser. We setup 4 subdomains for a project to make it use 8 tiles. Unfortunately I couldn't test it as it looked like fiddler was restricted to 2 and firebug doesn't show any tile requests at all. I wonder what the best way to verify this is?

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:08 AM

No, I don't have a link unfortunately, but it can be reproduced with the current build of DeepEarth shown on the home page: http://deepearth.codeplex.com/

Fiddler is not limited to two connections, as we can see up to about 10 connections in Fiddler with the tile requests in our ASP.net version, but there are only ever two simultaneous tile requests from DeepEarth. It seems to be specific to the MultiScaleImage, as other Silverlight web requests can continue while the MSI downloads its tiles.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM

Very interesting, I will look into this further and report back, unfortunately that mean currently I don't know how to override this. Anyone else already found the solution?

John.