GoogleTileSource Change

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Hi!

I saw in the latest source code change, revision 28156, that a GoogleTileSource was added.  Last time I checked, DeepEarth wasn't able to use Google maps because of a licensing issue.  Has this changed?

Developer
Oct 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Hi, no change about the license, you need to license the data from Google yourself. We will update the header text in the source file regarding this.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I remember Google having a problem with people directly accessing their tile servers.  Maybe I'm just misinformed and missed something.  Or, are you using the Static Maps API? - I think that would probably be ok with their license.

Whatever the answer is, thank you for adding the TileSource code. I would love to be able to use Google's maps.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Has any one out there been able to obtain a license from Google for use in DeepEarth?

I've talked to Google several times and haven't got a positive answer from them yet.  Wondering if there's a secret keyword I need to drop to get them to open up...

Developer
Nov 10, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Hi Grimus. Here is a thread to keep track on: http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=1396