Upgrading project to Silverlight 3 and Released Bing Maps control V1

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM

With the exciting release of the Bing Maps Silverlight control I'm upgrading the main trunk to Silverlight 3 and the new Bing Maps DLLs.

Please let me know if you need to keep using the Silverlight 2 code and we can make a legacy branch.

The upgrade should be done in a few hours.

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2009 at 2:42 AM
Edited Nov 11, 2009 at 2:42 AM

The entire solution is now Silverlight3

I've updated the Bing Maps projects to use the new Bing Maps V1 released control.

I'm not sure what the future is for the DeepEarth map control, it is now a few generations behind, I'm going to start a new thread about it's future now.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Am I wrong or is the solution is still Silverlight 2?  I have a Windows 7 environment setup with only Silverlight 3.  I just downloaded the latest code, double clicked on the DeepEarth.sln solution, and it's opening the Visual Studio Conversion Wizard.  I'm assuming it's attempting to try to convert the projects from 2 -> 3?

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2009 at 9:32 PM

It is defn Silverlight3, something must be off, can you conform that you got the code from the "Source Code" tab? You should have a project called "DeepEarth.Client.Controls.Find" that I added after the upgrade.

Let me know if I've done something wrong and I'll fix it, we should be Silverlight3 (glad we made it just before they released the beta fo Silverlight4! )

Nov 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

My bad.  Yesterday I downloaded "DeepEarth.Sources.zip" from the Downloads tab (thinking this was the latest code) which is still using Silverlight 2.  Today I downloaded "deepearth-31031.zip" from the Source Code tab, opened the solution, and did not see the Conversion Wizard.  And yes, DeepEarth.Client.Controls.Find is there too.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM

We need to publish a new release but things have been changing quite a bit and we're not quite yet settled. We're going to simplify things a great deal in the next few days and look at publishing a new release before xmas. These are the things I think we need to do before hand:

1) Complete the break into two branches (DE Map vs DE Toolkit)

2) Simplify all toolkit controls back to one dll and include styles

3) Update Documentation Page for each control

4) Create a good example project using the controls to give perspective.

The idea is that anyone wanted to contribute can so in many ways:

• Create a new toolkit control and be the owner
  • Enhance an exisiting control (maybe become the owner)
  • Suggest a new control
  • Improve the core DE Map alternative to the MSFT control (I'm looking for someone to take charge on this one)
Nov 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM

-any news on whether Bing will support multiple commercial/open base map tile providers? (eg OpenStreet/Aerial, Worldwind, google, Nearmap etc?) 

thanks,Geoff

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM
geoff_osborn wrote:

-any news on whether Bing will support multiple commercial/open base map tile providers? (eg OpenStreet/Aerial, Worldwind, google, Nearmap etc?) 

thanks,Geoff

I attended a very interesting "Developing with Bing Maps & Silverlight" event at Microsoft UK last week. I raised the question about using the map control with non Microsoft base imagery with the commercial contact there and she said "it depends".

The terms of use have a broad restriction that you must not "integrate the Bing Maps for Enterprise Platform or any of its content with any other mapping platform;" which technically includes all the map types you refer to above.

Google is definitely not going to be possible and even OpenStreetMap would need to be cleared with them - so geographic areas that aren't covered well with their Bing Maps might be OK, but areas such as the UK would probably not be OK. But basically if you make a case they will consider it - however, it's not an automatic right to use other map suppliers.

So it sounds like the DE Map might have a long term future.

Andrew